Sisters of St Joseph of Lochinvar

Sr M Vincent Webber

Sr Mary Vincent Webber IMAGE

Died 08 October 1948

 

Norah Frances Webber, born on 26 September 1872, was a daughter of the Eli and Anne (née Lysaght) Webber of Dungog.  She entered the young institute of the Sisters of St. Joseph  on 31 March 1897 following her older sister, Mary Anne, who became the universally beloved Mother Mary Hyacinth.

Professed on 13 February 1893, she ministered in Dungog, Largs, Wingen, Cessnock Nulkaba, Glendonbrook, Burwood, Carrington, Wauchope, West Wallsend (twice), Cardiff, Abermain, Brookfield, Cundletown and Lochinvar.

In 1948 the Diocese of Maitland Sentinel recorded

"On the 8th October 1948 the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Lochinvar lost one of its best beloved members in the person of Sister Mary Vincent Webber who passed away at the age of seventy-six years, fifty-six of which had been spent in religion.

Hers was a life of absolute generosity and self-forgetfulness in thought, word and deed; and these qualities combined with an unflagging zeal for the good of souls wrought results she, in her humility, never dreamed of. Her death occurred after an incurable and painful illness of six months, borne with heroic resignation and constant cheerfulness. Her passing is mourned by a very large circle of sincere friends as well as by her Sisters in religion to whom she was ever a ray of God's sunshine.

The interment took place after the second Mass on Sunday, 10th October, Very Rev Fr Ward officiated. Solemn Office and Requiem were celebrated at 10.30 on Wednesday morning. His Lordship Most Rev Dr Gleeson presided and thirty five priests formed the choir.  Rev Fr Hanrahan sang the Mass with Frs Casey and Smythe Deacon and Sub-Deacon. The chief mourners were Mrs. T. Kelly (sister), Mr. T. Kelly, Mrs. Carroll (niece) and Mr. Carroll. The pall bearers were Messrs. J. Leehy, B. Gurr, N. O’Neill, J. Cantwell, W. Kauter and G. Knipe. About fifty Children of Mary, students of the College, formed a guard of honour as the casket passed through the Convent gates on the way to the cemetery and then joined the cortege of the Sisters and relatives and friends of the dear deceased."