Sr M Gabriel Murphy
Died 06 May 1893
Sister Mary Gabriel of St. Joseph was the second of the three daughters of John and Elizabeth Murphy (nee Hickey) to enter at Lochinvar. She was born in Gosforth on 18 June 1866 and baptized Mary. She received the habit in the Convent Oratory at the ceremony presided over by Fr. Hand on 10 September, 1887.
In January 1888 she was a member of the Burwood community with Sr Imelda and Sr Clare, her sister.
The diary entry of November 13, 1888 recorded: "Mass was celebrated in the church ... immediately after Mass Srs Rose and Columba were received and Sr Mary Gabriel was professed by Dr. Murray."
After Profession Sr M. Gabriel was appointed to Cessnock, and later worked at Carrington, Burwood, Largs and Dungog.
In early 1893 it was evident her health was causing grave concern, despite medical attention from Dr Power of Maitland and Dr John Harris of Newcastle.
The diary of 3 May noted: "Sr. Mary Gabriel retired."
Dr. Power attended her on 4 May and on 6 May, 1893 the diary said:
"Sr. Mary Gabriel Murphy expired at 3.15 from consumption.”
On the 8 May the Office for the Dead and High Mass were celebrated in the Church commencing at 10 o'clock. Dr Murray presided.
Sr. Gabriel Murphy was the sister of Sr Clare Murphy (Margaret) who died in 1895 and Sr Margaret Mary Murphy( Catherine) who died in 1910.
The Murphy family of Gosforth was highly respected in the Lochinvar/ Maitland district and generous benefactors of the Sisters. Mr John Murphy died in 1898. An entry noted that Requiem Mass was offered in the Church for the soul of Mr Murphy with Bishop Dwyer being present at the Office and was assisted by six priests.