Sr M Bernadine Hickey
Died 20 July 1895
Julia Hickey who was born on 3 September 1866 at Windermere in the Lochinvar district was the daughter of John and Mary Hickey (née Hawley).
On 1 January 1892 Julia entered at St Joseph's Convent at Lochinvar and was given the name of Sister Mary Bernadine of Our Lady of Good Counsel. On 7 July 1894 she, with Sister Margaret Mary Murphy, was clothed in the religious habit by Dr James Murray, Bishop of Maitland.
Sister Mary Bernadine spent her first six months as a novice at Lochinvar and in March 1893 went to Carrington. During her time as a novice she also worked in Burwood and Knockfin. Her First Profession, with Sister Margaret Mary, took place on 1 July 1894. In January, 1895 she moved to Brookfield where Sister Francis was superior and where Sister Margaret Mary was the third member of the community.
Soon after returning to Lochinvar for the annual retreat Sister became ill with pneumonia. She was transferred the Infirmary on 3 July and six days later after a visit from Dr Power was given the Last Sacraments by Father McCormack. The doctor and priest saw her each day and on the 12 July Dr Power brought Dr Alcorue for a consultation. Holy Viaticum was brought to the Infirmary. Sister Mary Bernadine Hickey died on 20 July 1895, the Sisters having kept watch in turn during the night. She was only aged twenty-nine years.
On the 22 July, 1895 Requiem Mass was celebrated by Father Roche having been preceded by the Office for the Dead. Rev. Fr. Hand presided. After Mass the funeral took place. Sister Mary Bernadine was buried with the deceased Sisters of St Joseph in the Catholic Cemetery at Lochinvar.