Sr M Joseph McLoughlin
Died 13 July 1938
Elizabeth Mary born in Ellerston near Scone on 1 April 1881 was the youngest of the eight children of James and Elizabeth McLoughlin (née Cantwell) who both came from Thurles, Co. Tipperary and became one of the pioneering families of the Upper Hunter in the wool and cattle industries.
The Lochinvar records for 19 March 1900 state "Miss Molly McLoughlin entered and received the name Sr Mary Joseph of the Sacred Heart of Jesus." On the 10 January, 1901 she received the habit with Sister Mary Bernadine Stanton. After reception she went occasionally to Knockfin and in July 1901 had her first experience of branch house life when she went to Largs for six months. In January 1903 she made her First Profession with Sister Mary Bernadine and was again appointed to Largs. Over the years she taught in many branch convent schools as well as at Lochinvar where for many years 'she was House Mother for the junior boarders, who loved her for her infectious laugh and gentle understanding of their needs.' Lochinvar 1938
Sister Mary Joseph was the superior in some branch convents. These included Cessnock, Burwood, Carrington, Krambach and finally Wingham. She had a special affection for Krambach. People who had known Sister Mary Joseph cherish precious memories of her: "She was a tall, serene, gracious Sister often referred to as 'gentle Joseph'. She was the pride and joy of her family and much loved by all who knew her."
Sister Mary Joseph suffered a stroke on the 3 July, 1938, while superior of the Wingham community. She was moved from the convent to Carlyle Private Hospital in Wingham after having received the Last Sacraments. There she lingered for a week in a state of unconsciousness watched by the Sisters and attended by the priest. Sister died in the hospital in the presence of Mothers Mary Alphonsus and Aquin, Rev Father Smythe and some of the Sisters on the 13 July, 1938.
Sister Mary Joseph McLoughlin was buried in the Sisters' portion of the Lochinvar Catholic Cemetery after Office for the Dead and Solemn Requiem Mass on the 15 July, 1938.