Sisters of St Joseph of Lochinvar

Sr M Agnes Tobin

Sr M Agnes Tobin IMAGE

Died 18 August 1892

Ellen Tobin, with her sister, Julia entered the congregation of the Sisters of St Joseph at Lochinvar on 25 March, 1888 just five years after its foundation in the diocese of Maitland. Ellen was called in religion Sister Mary Agnes of Our Lady of Good Counsel. She was one of the six daughters of William and Ellen Tobin (nee Grace) to become a religious Sister. Their older sister, Brigid known as Sister Mary Stanislaus had entered at Lochinvar in 1885. Sadly, Julia known as Sister Mary Veronica died in the September of 1888 from consumption.

Two other daughters became Sisters of Mercy, one at Gunnedah and the other at Singleton while another daughter became a member of the Congregation of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart at Kensington in Sydney.

A fortnight after reception as a Sister of St Joseph, Sister Mary Agnes joined the Cessnock Community where her older sister, Sister Mary Stanislaus was the superior. In November 1888 the Cessnock community was moved to Dungog to make the new foundation.

During the period before Profession Sister Mary Agnes taught at Merriwa and Carrington. She made her First Profession with Sister Mary Columba on 8 January 1891 and then spent short periods at Carrington and Largs and Lochinvar. During the last six months of 1891 the diary recorded regular visits to Newcastle which seemed to indicate that she was suffering from consumption.

By early August of 1892 she was admitted to the Infirmary and received the last Sacraments. The diary entry reads:

“1892   August 6th - Sr. Mary Agnes received Holy Viaticum from Fr Dwyer.

13th - Fr. Dwyer took Holy Viaticum to Sister Agnes.

18th - "Sister Mary Agnes died.     R.I.P.

On 19th August, Office and Requiem were celebrated for Sr. Mary Agnes. His Lordship Dr. Murray was present."

The funeral took place after Mass and Sister Mary Agnes Tobin was buried in the Sisters' portion of the Lochinvar Catholic Cemetery.