Sr M Genevieve Luney
Died 08 June 1950
Margaret Luney was one of a family of ten children born to John Luney, a blacksmith and Brigid Hoare in Dungog on 25 March 1875. Margaret entered the Novitiate at Lochinvar on 16 July 1893 and was given the name of Sister Mary Genevieve. She was professed on 7 January 1896. Her own sister, Ellen had entered the Congregation just two years previously and was known as Sister Mary Martina
Sister Mary Genevieve was widely known and esteemed throughout the diocese, having laboured in Krambach, Cundletown, Gloucester, West Wallsend, Cessnock (St Pat's), Carrington, Abermain and Merriwa. She filled the position of Local Superior in several of these branch houses.
Sister Mary Genevieve had been appointed to Merriwa after the May vacation in 1950 and was teaching in school one morning about a fortnight after school opened, when she was seized by a sudden violent heart attack which two days later, on the Feast of Corpus Christi, 8 June proved fatal. Her many friends deplored her sudden death.
Her remains were brought from Merriwa on the day following Sister's death with Mr Mehan (Maitland) undertaking the difficult task of transferring them over swollen streams and dangerous roads. The Sisters in her community accompanied their much-loved companion through the courtesy and kindness of the parish priest. Many Merriwa friends were prevented by the rain from making the journey, as the roads were impassable, except for the highway. The Sisters were grateful in their hour of need for the kindness of the Merriwa people, especially the good doctor and the matron and nurses of the hospital.
Solemn Office and Requiem Mass were celebrated for the eternal repose of Sister Mary Genevieve with twenty-two priests in attendance. The burial followed in the Sisters’ section of the Lochinvar Cemetery.
From The Lochinvar Magazine