Sr Margaret Mary Murphy
Died 10 November 1910
Catherine was the youngest of the three daughters of John and Elizabeth Murphy (née Hickey) who became Sisters of St. Joseph at Lochinvar. Her sisters were Margaret, Sr M. Clare who died in 1906 and Mary, Sr M. Gabriel who died in 1893. The Murphy family of Gosforth was highly respected in the Lochinvar/ Maitland district and they were generous benefactors of the Sisters. Mr John Murphy died in 1898; an entry reads: "Requiem Mass in the Church for the soul of Mr Murphy; Bishop Dwyer being present at Office assisted by six priests.”
Catherine entered with Sr Bernadine Hickey on 1 January, 1892 and was given the name Sister Margaret Mary of the Sacred Heart. She received the habit on the 7 July that year and a few days later went to Cessnock with Srs Ignatius and Claver.
In November, 1892 she moved to Dungog and in 1893 to Brookfield. She was professed on 4 July, 1894 with Sr Bernadine Hickey. Dr Murray, Bishop of Maitland presided. After her Profession, Sister returned to Brookfield for another year.
During her life in the Congregation Sr Margaret Mary taught in most of the branch houses then established in the diocese. We find her name on the community lists of Dungog, Brookfield, Merriwa, Carrington, Cessnock, Largs, Aberdeen, Wingen and Wybong; to some of these places she was appointed more than once.
In 1905 her active work in the branch convents came to a premature end. On 13 February of that year she was brought home from Cessnock as an invalid. On the 24th of the month she underwent an operation in Dr Harris's private hospital in Newcastle. On her discharge she was cared for at the Burwood convent by Sr M Sebastian before returning to Lochinvar where she remained except for short periods at Cessnock and Brookfield.
Sister Margaret Mary Murphy died of consumption at 10.50 pm on the 10 November, 1910, having received the Last Sacraments earlier that evening. Her corpse was brought to the Chapel the following morning where Mass was offered by Fr McCormack. The funeral took place after Mass to the Lochinvar Cemetery. Solemn Office and Requiem were offered in the Chapel at 9.30 on the 15 November, 1910, at which the bishop presided.